Tuesday, April 13, 2010

wired ribbon yoyos yo!



How much fun are these? I found 2 rolls of fabulous wired ribbon for $1.50 each and fell in love. (The patterns and the price, could. not. resist.) I've been making lots of little yoyos recently for various projects. Been gluing and sewing them to everything...don't stand too close or you too will get yoyo'd.


mmm, yummy ribbon.



To start, I cut an 8 inch piece of ribbon. This ribbon is 2 inches wide, perfect for 1 inch yoyos.



I scrunched up the edges so the wire stuck out and pulled. The wire slips right out.



I folded the ribbon in fourths and used a 2 inch circle template I cut from chipboard (this one is well-used!). Now, you could trace around the template with a marker, or you can do what I did...



..and just go for it!



I used some Fray Check around the edges of the circles because they wanted to unravel when I went to gather them. Once it dried, I simply ran a single stitch with a needle and thread around the outer edge.



I pulled on the thread ends, gathering the fabric into the middle, tied a double-knot and cut off the extra thread.



I sewed buttons on 5 yoyos and hot glued them to a headband (dollar store, 4 for a buck!). Here is my beautiful daughter modeling the finished project. She's looking down because she's text messaging. As usual :O)




I hot glued some rhinestones to the centers of these and added them to my dollar store black birds. (These started out cream colored so I took some black spray paint to them. ah. much better.)



Each spool of ribbon measures 3 yards, that's alot of yoyos for pennies a piece. Loves it!

Linking up with:

I Made It Blog Party on Everything Etsy



Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple

giveaways

Show & Share Day at Just a Girl





Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori

Get your craft on Thurs.

All Things Dreamy Blog Party on Sweet European Dreams


9 comments:

mothermack said...

Holy sheep, is this a...NEW POST?! Plus pics of your cute daughter? PLUS pics of a cute new craft?! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY SISTER?!!

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Cute yoyos! I've never made them before but would love to try sometime. Just stopped over at your Etsy shop and had so much fun looking around. You are very creative!

Thanks for stopping by the other day.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love the yoyos! Love the ribbons! Really love the black birds with yoyos! Cute kid! I love the stuff you make. Really good post. Just loves.

Atasha said...

oooh those blackbirds looks so classy with their rhinestoned yoyos.

crush. blog said...

so cute - we love that headband!

Jingle said...

Those are really cute and they look FABULOUS on the little birds!

So Sunny Day said...

never thought of using ribbon for yoyos.. great idea!!! and those little birds are way too cute!!!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Lori said...

This is something I could probably do.. Love the ribbon..

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

Shell said...

Hi I wanted to share some of your crafts with my ladies craft group. But I'm decorating my dining room in the designs of your ribbons & wanted to know where on Earth you found them? Thanks